Welcome to the Journey

As you read through these journalings, I ask you to enjoy the ramblings and jestings but to also ponder the thoughts that are being pondered.

Feel free to join me on this journey through the trek of life.

Randy ~ The Toolman ~ Whistler

Monday, September 20, 2010

Java Journey

It has been discussed that coffee, java, cup-a-joe, cup-of-mud, and more are a favorite of mine. I will admit, I do enjoy coffee. I enjoy espresso and I enjoy a great cappuccino. I praise the Lord for allowing me to be a part of the ministry of the Underground Coffee shop. I even enjoy roasting my own coffee.

So, what does this all have to do with the Java Journey?

First, I remember that time of being in college and loving the smell of coffee. When you take that lid loose from the top of that can of coffee and that aroma hits you in the ~ WOW! I loved that smell. But the taste ... I think I would have rather licked dirt than drink the stuff. I like the smell of it brewing also. I would brew coffee in the morning so others could enjoy their morning wake up but there was no way I was going to drink any of that muddy brew.

Years later, this underwhelming feeling was ... if I was going to be "grown up" I needed to drink coffee. I joined the US Army - This had to be my turning point - the Army would help me learn to drink coffee. That's not why I joined the Army, but why not 'learn' to drink coffee while I'm at it?

It was a cold day in the winter of 1985 at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. We were on a bivouac. In the morning we had a smattering of snow and it was cold. The cooks had a hot breakfast and hot coffee to warm us. This is definitely my time to learn to drink coffee. I filled the cup, added some cream and sugar (enough to make dessert) and the taste was still that of sweet mud ~ disgusting!

I was willing to live with not being a grown up - coffee was bad and I was not going to be a part of it.

Fast forward to 2004 ~ someone offered to buy me a cup of coffee and I turned them down with an explanation of the previously mentioned. They told me that I hadn't tried a Carmel Macchiato. Correct ~ I hadn't ~ it had coffee in it. The purchase was made and the gift was sliding across the table. I have to admit; it looked good.

That's where it started. I have to tell you ... I don't even remember who it was that introduced me to this strange brew (aye!) but I do know that they changed my way of life. We now have a coffee maker in our kitchen, one in the family room down stairs, one in my office, I own a BMW Serena Espresso machine and "love" coffee in different forms ~ iced, black, espresso, with milk, with foam, but I really like it with caramel.

All of that to get to this ... I want to share a cup of coffee with you some time and share what God's Son is doing in my life and how He can make a difference in yours. I'm buying! Call me. We can trek the Java Journey with Jesus together.

1 comment: